Let's know some count from Bihar. There are total -
- 38 Districts in Bihar
- 9 Divisions in Bihar
- 101 Sub-Divisions in Bihar
- 40 Loksabha Seats
- 243 Vidhan Sabha Seats (Bihar Legislative Assembly) in Bihar
- 16 Rajya Sabha Seats in Bihar
History of Bihar
Let's now peep into the pages of the history of Bihar. The history of Bihar is very interesting as well as being old. The name Bihar is derived from the Sanskrit word 'Vihar'. The ancient name of Bihar is Magadha, and capital was Rajgir in ancient times. Bihar had an important role in history of India. In ancient time, Bihar was centre of culture, power and education. Bihar has 3 regions with their own identity and culture. These 3 regions are - Magadh, Mithila and Bhojpur. Magadha was one of the powerful kingdoms in Buddhist times. It was located in southern Bihar which later became the most powerful Mahajanapada of North India. It became a world center of glorious religiosity. Modern Patna and Gaya was included in Magadh Kingdom.
Bihar is known as birthplace of two popular religions Jainism, Budhism. Bihar was a significant centre during vedic period. Modern Bihar is also known as Land of IAS officers because it has produced a number of IAS officers than any other states in India.
Nalanda University: 95 KM away from capital city Patna, Nalanda University is said to be the oldest university not only in India but also in the world. This University was known for its huge library where millions of books were kept.
Bihar, which was the strongest kingdom in ancient time, is lost today somewhere in history.
Top 5 Facts about Bihar
- Oldest University of the world - Nalanda University
- Origin of Jainism and Budhism religion
- Tenth and last Guru of Sikhism, Guru Gobind Singh was born in Patna, Bihar
- Gautam Buddha attained enlightenment at Bodh Gaya.
- India's first President Dr. Rajendra Prasad was born in Zeradai (Siwan District), Bihar
Important information about Bihar
|Population||8,29,98,509 (as per census 2011)|
|Postal Code||800XXX , 855XXX|
|Telephone STD Code||0612|
|Language||Bhojpuri, Maithili, Hindi|
|Major Rivers||Ganga, Kosi, Gandak, Son|
|Indsutry||Cotton spinning mills, Sugar mills, Jute mills|
|Agriculture||Rice, Wheat, Oilseed, Onions, Sugarcane, Potato|
9 Divisions in Bihar
- Headquarter: Muzaffarpur
- Total Districts (6) : Muzaffarpur, East Champaran, West Champaran, Sitamarhi, Sheohar and Vaishali
- Headquarter: Munger
- Total Districts (6) : Munger, Jamui, Khagaria, Lakhisarai, Begusarai and Sheikhpura
Major Cities of Bihar
- Motihari (East Champaran)
- Bettiah (West Champaran)
Culture of Bihar
- Main Festivals - Chhath Puja, Holi, Diwlai, Teej
- Music of Bihar - Sohar, Ropnigeet, Katnigeet
- Paintings of Bihar - Madhubani Paintings
Famous Historical Personalities of Bihar
- King Ashoka
- Guru Gobind Singh
- Jai Prakash Narayan
- Ramdhari Singh Dinkar
Bihar is divided by holy river Ganga into 2 parts. One is called North Bihar and another named as South Bihar.
Districts in North Bihar:
Below are the list of District in North Bihar -